Wayward Kitsune

Book Review: Me Since You

Me Since You - Laura Wiess

MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEH. My mind has been bleating the said word when I fully realized that Me Since You is going to be one hell of a boring read. The characters endlessly wallowed on grief to the point that I was exhausted by it all. And friends, this book was supposed to make me cry particularly that its theme revolves around a very delicate subject which is suicide. Yet I found my tear glands dry and coming from me, that’s saying something because I am a heavy crier. I cry at even the slightest provocation. Petty sad events can already put me on the verge of tears. But Me Since You saved me a 2-dollar worth of tissue box. And after I finished it, I got depressed because I think I was the only one who didn’t grasp how painful this book is. I even got to a point wherein I was thinking that it’s going to be another Perks of Being a Wallflower where everything just drag on and on without real direction. Thankfully, it ended just when I thought of DNF-ing it temporarily. >,<

Me Since You is not your typical angsty contemporary read for it delved into the uglier points of human loss, acceptance of painful truths, remembering that you’re not alone and moving on. There’s so much to learn from this book that at some point, it could already qualify as a self-help journal. The premise promised of another cliché’ contemporary but Me Since You is more than that. Kudos to Wiess for having the guts of writing something new out of a pile of an overly done story subject.

While Me Since You is certainly an unforgettable journey for me, it has its glaring flaws that left me frustrated. For starters, I wasn’t able to connect with all of the characters. You see, in order for me give a d-mn about their plight, I have to connect with them first. But the case with Me Since You was that it started with the characters already troubled with the death of two strangers. If truth be told, I haven’t seen any significant development about them other than the constant and exhausting grieving and lashing out at people. That kind of ploy already gets old if you’re reading a 360+ page book. And all the characters do is swim in the ocean of grief.

The plot, though unique, could have benefitted from a major overhaul and trimming out those taxing repetitive moments. The book could have been shortened so as not to lose the novelty of the painfulness of the whole story. The romance, while it didn’t become overbearing, was sloppily made. I hardly feel any chemistry between Eli and Rowan that I couldn’t stop myself from thinking that the author should have just scrapped it. I mean, if you’re just going to make a lame job out of it, then better ditch it instead of ruining the whole thing. I’m sorry but the romance in this book wasn’t probed well that it failed to make a substantial contribution to the whole story.

Overall, Me Since You could have easily gotten a 1 star rating from me but the lessons that it imparted is quite valuable and that in itself is enough to merit a 3.5 star rating. I highly recommend it to those people who are interested in getting over extreme depressions and moving over loss. Heck, I would even recommend it to those who want to read something new in an overly done genre.

***An ARC was freely provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. Thank you, MTV Books!***

Source: http://thoughtsandpens.com/2014/06/26/book-review-me-since-you