Wayward Kitsune

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone  - J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré For the full review, please find it here: Thoughts and Pens

Plot

As I’ve said, HP is the epitome of book perfection. I am impressed with the plot, with the setting and with everything that’s been going on in the world of Harry. It might be a children’s book but what sets it apart from the others is that it has depth. It has unexpected twists that is absent from the other children’s books that I’ve read.
The book is captivating with the fact that it tells the story of an ordinary boy who despite of everything, despite the kind of life Destiny has given him, chose to be strong and rose to the challenge of battling evil at all costs.

The story consistently portrayed a picture of heroic and wicked deeds all throughout the book that you cannot just help biting your nails every time you turn a page. It was like daydreaming an epic story set in a very wonderful world where everything is almost perfect. From the setting, to the story, to the hero, to the villain and to the supporting cast, everything was flawless.

Another thing that I love the book is that even if everything seems to be unrealistic, it was realistic. It does not talk about forever happy endings. But rather about present happy endings that entailed a lot of sacrifices along the way. And that would constantly involve a lot of sacrifices to maintain those happy endings.

Sorcerer’s stone ended wonderfully and yet it was only just the beginning, the opening salvo of one of the world’s greatest book adventures.

Characters
I don’t know how JK Rowling did it but Harry Potter and the rest of the gang felt so real. Like they’re living, breathing human specimen we’ve known for years. Everyone in the cast were individuals whom we can relate, who resembled real people that we’ve met over the years. They’re witty, funny, and most of all, imperfect. And like us, they are also battling and absorbed in their own daily troubles, trying to survive one day at a time. That even with magic, they are also encumbered by mundane things such as petty fights with their close friends, immaturity and materialism.

My favorite characters of the book were of course:

a. Harry- He wasn’t handsome, not even the brightest, a product of painful unfortunate events and when you look at him, he was just one of the ordinary boys whom you’ll pass by without giving your most coveted second look. But his bravery and unwavering belief in goodness made all the difference in the world of magic.
b. Ron- Do I have to say it? He’s immature, an idiot and the funniest of the three friends.
c. Hermione- I.like.her.bossy.and.know-it-all.attitude.
d. The Dursleys- I have a love-hate feeling for these three. I hate them so much that I always look forward to reading about them. They’re a moronic, conceited, bullying family who always insist that Harry is non-existent and yet, their daily lives are unknowingly centered on him whom they hated so much.
e. Fred and George- Well, who wouldn’t love guys oozing with sense of humor? They are the walking and talking joke books without the corny moments.
f. Dumbledore- I just wished that every teacher in the whole world is as cool as Professor Dumbledore.
g. Voldemort- Harry and his world would have never been a “to-die-for-read” if this *Y@*@%^# of a villain did not exist.

Interactions and Dialogue

As I am typing this portion of the review, I am already smiling from ear to ear. JK Rowling really knew how to bring fun, sadness, suspense, thrill, hair-standing moments in one book. Every time I read the convo of every character, it feels like I’m there, listening to all their hubbubs. And I am laughing, crying, fighting with them.
Sometimes it felt more real being in the company of the gang than being here in the physical world. Their witty jokes, snide comments, practical remarks were stress relievers and oftentimes, it creates the opposite, stressing the hell out of me.
JK Rowling is a master of words. Master in a way that when the character talks, it is already enough to set their identity apart from each other.

Lessons learned from the Book

In our childhood years until these days, we’ve been presented with a lot of fairy tale books and the lesson that we can always glean from them is those of heroism and loyalty. In HP, we also have these but it in a more intense portrayal of what it takes to be a hero. They do not need to wield swords, or be the handsome blue eyed knight in shining armor. But HP tells us that even ordinary people like us can be a hero in our own little ways.
HP also teaches us that no one is perfect and yet, that doesn’t prevent us from consistently doing the right things and creating the right decisions at all costs…and that includes doing the right thing even at the face of adversaries.
HP also tells reminds us one of the ancient Bible teachings, do not do unto others what you don’t want to do them unto you as greatly portrayed how Voldemort was defeated by the infant Harry.
And lastly, we must never waver in believing in the good because it is the only thing that keeps the evil at bay.